This post may contain affiliate links. Read full disclosure here.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read full disclosure here.
Ways You Can Improve Connections In Relationships And Make Yours A Long-Lasting One
What is the magic elixir that makes some relationships last longer than others? Work, commitment, communication, and effort. In order to have a lasting and loving relationship, you need to cultivate it. There are many ways you can improve your relationship. If you are not 100% happy in your relationship, don’t just sit back and sulk, take action.
Do you ever feel as if creating successful relationships with our significant others and parenting children are two of the most difficult jobs we face? Yet we get no formal training in either.
Here are some tried-and-true tips to help you enjoy a long, happy, and lasting relationship.
Why Couples Would Rather Divorce Than Work On Ways To Improve Their Relationship
Did you know that the Maldives has the highest divorce rate in the world? Followed by Belarus, the United States, and Cuba. Couples go through life getting along when times are good; and fighting with, ignoring, or leaving each other when things get tough.
Never above you. Never below you. Always beside you. - Walter Winchell Click To Tweet
Unfortunately, many couples believe that to seek help with their relationships means to admit a certain kind of defeat. Instead of opting for marriage counselling, or therapy, they would rather let it go. That says something about who they are as a person. Relationships aren’t necessarily meant to be managed on your own. If your relationship needs help, ask for it. Of course, if you have already tried everything you could possibly do, and it still isn’t working out, then I agree, move on.
How Our Parents Affect Our Future Relationships
As a child growing up, the only relationship training we are given is the passive learning we get through modelling of the adults who live in our house with us and the media.
Our parents likely only received the informal training they got from their parents, and they from their great-grandparents and so on back through the generations. Couples are often willing to show their perfect relationship on the surface while deep down everything is falling apart.
Do you mirror your parent’s relationship today? Are you great and dealing with conflict or do you scream, yell and argue all the time? Children learn what they see.
Disagreements are a natural byproduct of relationships. It is virtually impossible for two people to come together and create a life without some of their ideals, values, opinions or day-to-day activities coming into conflict with each other.
The question becomes how you manage this conflict. You can improve your relationship by being honest about your challenges and areas for growth and development.
Do Opposites Really Attract?
Ask yourself first, how compatible you are with your partner. Opposite may attract at first sight, or initially, when dating, this formula will not take you the distance if this is the only reason you are with someone. It is a chemical attraction.
Compatibility is key for a successful, healthy relationship. Men and women approach relationships in different ways. This is why Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus right? There are many ways you, can improve your relationship, start by learning ways to actually hear each other, especially during conflict. Make your relationship a priority.
Here Are 7 Great Ways You Can Improve Your Relationship
1. REFLECT – Take time to look back, refresh your memories and remember what brought you two together. When times are difficult, lean back and rely on these old memories as your foundation and glue yourselves back together with them. Draw each other close, instead of distancing yourselves from each other.
2. DATES – Another one of the ways you can improve your relationship is to keep dating each other. I know we need to set time apart for more “us” time. My sister-in-law’s jaw dropped when I told her we had only had one date night in 2 years! Yup! LOL. Do you ever feel like life is just too busy to go on a date with your partner? I know I do, but it is important to do it. Have an at-home date night if you can’t get out of the house. Get your creative juices going and plan a date night.
3. HAVE FUN – Remember when you first met your partner and things were silly, fun and easy-going? Then you moved in together, got married and things became serious. Lighten up. Rent a movie, an Xbox, a WII, anything that will get you guys laughing together again.
Are you relating to these yet? Let’s keep going…
4. FORGET – There is no need to always remember the bad things that happened during an argument. I am guilty of bringing up past issues, even after I have said I was over it. Do you need to work on bringing up old arguments? It is good to actively forget sometimes.
5. SPACE – Do you like to have some space and time to yourself sometimes? People need time alone, and time with their friends. Yes, you are in a relationship or a marriage, but you must still be your own person. Be sure to give and take your fair share of space.
6. DISAGREE – Agree that it is okay to disagree on some issues, and leave it at that. You don’t have to agree on every single thing, and you won’t. There is nothing wrong with that, and the sooner you can embrace that, the less you will argue. Seek to understand before trying to be understood.
7. MEMORIES – Enjoy special moments, special anniversary dates and events. Do something special just for both of you, and if it is so enjoyable, a make it an annual event. Valentine’s day is coming up, so think of something great you can do. No need to be elaborate.
Here is a quick list of 10 Date Night Ideas For Married Couples. Pin this image to save these date night ideas for later. If you prefer an instant download click here.
Always Look To Incorporate Ways To Improve Your Relationship
Falling in love and having a relationship are two different things. - Keanu ReevesClick To Tweet .
A number of behaviours can predict when a couple is on solid ground or headed for troubled waters. Good relationships don’t happen overnight. If you incorporate these ways you can improve your relationship, you will start to see some changes happen. A relationship requires constant attention.
Establish rituals of communication to ensure the longevity of your relationship. A simple, please, thank you, and I am sorry never hurt anyone either. Falling in love is the easy part.
Relationships should never be 50/50, they should be 100/100!
Are you learning ways you can improve your relationship, or are you already at the peak and loving it?
Share with me in the comments section below.